Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Praying for a miracle, expecting the worst.

I went in for an ultrasound this afternoon. After one minute, the ultrasound tech stopped what she was doing and told me to go straight to the ER.

Not exactly what you want to have happen.

We rushed over to Metro Health, praying the whole way.

After an ultrasound and bloodwork, the doctor finally came in to give us the news.

This baby will not survive.

The amniotic fluid is so low, that even if the baby does make it to 30+ weeks, it will not survive. The lungs will not develop and the baby will certainly die in the first few days of life.

What caused it? The cause as of this moment is unknown. It could be that the baby does not have kidneys, it could be that at some point my water ruptured, it could be a slow leak over time. In any case, the baby will not develop and grow properly without fluid. Looking at the ultrasound, there is just so little fluid I do not have much hope for a happy outcome.

The absolute hardest part for me was that as the doctor was telling me that this baby will not survive, the baby was kicking like mad. To know that the baby will die and yet still be so attached to this little life...it is misery.

Things we covet your prayers for:

1) A miracle. We are expecting the worst, but sincerely praying for a miracle. My God is big and the great physician. If it is His will to fix this, it will be done.

2) My prayer from the beginning is that I would accept the outcome of this pregnancy, no matter what. That is still my prayer tonight.

3) The weeks waiting will go by quickly. Not knowing when all this is going to happen is stressful for me. I probably will not go full term, but this could last another 16 weeks.

4) My kids. They really do not understand what is going on and just keep asking over and over "Why is the baby going to die?"

5) The rest of my family. Josh, my parents, siblings...it is difficult for the whole family when something like this happens.

As for me, I am taking a little break from tech life for a while and go on autopilot. We go tomorrow to my doctor to see if he can tell us any more information and I will update here if there is anything more.

We covet your prayers through the next few weeks, as they are going to be really tough for our whole family. Thanks in advance for your prayers offered on our behalf.


The Lord gives, the Lord takes. May His name be ever blessed.

16 comments:

Cynthia said...

You are so right, if it is God's will then He will make this sweet baby survive. I will pray for you and your family as you work to accept God's plan for you and the life you are carrying.

Unknown said...

Praying for your miracle. From a mom who has a 25 weeker who proves to me everyday that God is the God of miracles. Much love to you.

Laurie said...

Paige is me, Laurie.

Jessica said...

Oh Jamie, praying for you and your family....

Lia Leenstra said...

sitting here in silence lifting your family and precious little one up in prayer!!

richvt said...

Jamie - my heart goes out to you and your family! Your precious one is God's miraculous creation, and he makes no mistakes. Praying for miracle along with you!

Jenn said...

with love - the VanTol's

Barb said...

Praying for peace for you and your family.

Emily said...

Jamie,
You and your whole family will be in our thoughts and prayers and your sweet little baby!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Josh and Jamie,
Rachel forwarded your blog to me. I am glad she did. Amid tears for you, I assure you of prayers.
God Bless.
Ruth Verhoef

Blessedcostello said...

Izzy and I prayed for you this morning and will again at bedtime prayers. So sorry you are going through this PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE!

Sonny said...

Thinking of you . . . my heart breaking.

Call me if you need to chat.

DeJongs said...

Definitely lifting your family up in prayers.

Lynne said...

Not sure if you remember me...from Kellogsville MOPS! We missed you this year. I wish I would have been the nurse to get you at Metro. I work on the labor and delivery floor. I have heard of your story from my sister in law, who goes to your church.
I am praying for you and your husband. And for your boys too.
Lynne Logan

Facebook said...

Sarah Judd Kronland Jaimie...I am sobbing as I read this. I know I cannot comfort you in a time like this...but I am praying like crazy for your precious babe. And I will keep praying!! Hugs!!!

Kate Henkel Bloemers Sending prayers your way....

Kami Loucks Oh Jamie, Oh Jamie, Oh Jamie - my heart and my prayers - they are all with you and your family right now. You are right, GOD IS BIGGER, miracles can happen and I am fiercely praying for one for you right now. Oh Jamie :-(

Allison Taylor Mohr Paraying for you and your family Jamie!

Paula Kittle Agreeing with you for a miracle Jamie and praying for God's peace and comfort to you and your family no matter the outcome.

Sherry Bunch Woodrow I am very sad after reading your post! We will all be praying for your family and your precious angel. we love you all very much.

Shelley Kuipers Jamie, Josh & family - you are in our thoughts and prayers. May the Prince of Peace bring peace to your heart during this time of questions and waiting.

Kathi Spurlock Jaime, I am praying for you and your family. I am so sorry to hear this.

Marva Brummel Lubben Oh, Jamie, Josh and family - what sad news to hear, but God does answer prayers so we will be praying for a miracle too. We will also pray for peace for all of you during this terribly difficult time.

Robin Bernhardt We love you all and will be praying!

Sarah Barendse Wolters Jamie, We will also be praying for you and your family no and in the weeks to come!

Reba Buwalda Ezell You are certainly in our prayers!

Katie Koster My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Renee Ford Vales Prayers to you and your family!!

Cynthia Poblete Lots of love and prayers to you and your family Jamie! ♥

Olivia VanDyke Huisman Jamie, I'm praying for you and your family and for a miracle!

Julie DeVries Bakker We are praying for you!

Michelle Dieleman Praying my dear friend, I will not stop. Love you all so much.

Joan Holwerda Howard Praying!

Holly Morren Cravino We will be praying...

Denise Fik Kouwe Oh, my Jamie! Praying for all of you!

Dawn Verkaik Praying during this difficult time! So sorry!

Brenda Wharton So sorry jamie. Words can't express enough. We'll be praying for you all

Lyn Prantle Piper ♥♥♥♥♥ lots of prayers for all of the VP family.

Michelle VanderHeide Praying, praying, praying - our God is much bigger than this.

Cara Van Dam Praying for a miracle.

Barb Ezinga The Lord is Amazing and can/will do amazing things! I was on bedrest with Kyle and Adam for 7 weeks because my water broke. Kyle is now a freshman in high school and taking drivers training = talk about a miracle!! Keep trusting and we'll keep praying!

Lisa Beuschel Praying for you.

Sarah 'Sikma' Cupery Oh God. Jamie, I am heartbroken with you. I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying that God will sustain you through this pregnancy, and that He will work a miracle and protect your little one's life. Beating down His door for you!

Deb Hager-Torres Jamie, praying for you and entire family

Christen Wilder I am so, so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and your family. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Susanne DeJong Lifting you up in our prayers!

Facebook said...

Stephanie Collins Cogdell Johnson WHAT IN THE WORLD..ARE YOU OKAY??????

Joya Logue praying for you! sending a ((((hug))))

Stephanie Collins Cogdell Johnson OKAY DON'T ANSWER THAT..I JUST SAW YOUR BLOG POST GOING TO READ IT AND I WILL BE RIGHT BACK

Lizabeth Landon-Cole Sorensen Oh no! What's wrong?

Heather Houskamp praying so much for you and your family right now Jamie

Kelly Dykstra Boonstra Oh Jamie....praying for you & your family.

Krista Gradias I am so so sorry and will be praying for a miracle for your sweet family and that precious little life.

Jen Hoeksema Cliff Praying for all of you.

Sarah Falise Masci Praying for a miracle for you Jamie. I am so sorry for you and your family to have to go through this...

Sally Redmond Brown praying. ♥

Lizabeth Landon-Cole Sorensen Thinking of you Jamie!!

Stephanie Collins Cogdell Johnson JUST EMAILED YOU...PRAYING PRAYING PRAYING..LOVE YOU GIRL!!!

Karin Hartman Harmon We will be praying for you and your family Jamie. So sorry.

Laurie Pettinga Guikema Praying with you. God is the God of miracles. And my 25 weeker proves this to me every single day.

Denise Brummel Dieleman praying for a miracle for you Jamie

Patty Schab Wagner My heart sank as I read this...but Jamie, you are so right! Our God is a BIG God and Miracles happen everyday!! We will be praying for that miricle!! ♥

Betsy DeYoung Jenison praying for a miracle, Jamie!!!

Carolyn DeHaan Timmer praying for you and your family Jamie...

Denise Fik Kouwe Praying!

Melissa Dykstra Diekema Jamie - praying like crazy for you!

Carol VanSolkema Koster We are praying for you & your family

Stacy 'Westra' Schutter Praying for you and your family Jamie!

Angie Beller Beermann Oh Jamie. I am thinking of you...

Leslie McPherson Jamie - Hate that you are going through so much stress, but will be thinking of you & hoping for the miracle.

Sue Dood praying God performs a miracle

Brenda Wharton You and your family arein our prayers

Sarah Lobbezoo Fennema I don't know what to say Jamie, we'll be praying for you and your family. Let me know if you need anything....

Stacy Piper Floyd Feeling so bad for you Jamie (and your family)! I pray that you feel God's comfort and that God's glory can been seen in this very hard time! So sorry Jamie!